Monday, June 22, 2009

Night #8

Have you ever thought about Colorado?? If not you totally should more often because it's awesome. The weather alone is unbelievable. It's June and it was probably 60 degrees out last night. It was our first camping adventure of the trip and it turned out way better than our last attempt at camping in Texas. We drove up into this state park and first we thought it was closed and we were a little sad. But then our luck changed when we saw a small sign that said something about signing yourself in. Everything was on the honor system, that's how you can tell it's a small town, so we took our deposit envelopes and dropped them in the mailbox. We found our spot number and started pulling out the tent. Dad started to set up the tent while I was trying to get some things out of the trunk. Now I turn around about to bring some stuff over to the site when all of a sudden there was this cat looking thing running across the parking lot. I'm not sure what the heck it was. It had a longish tail like a cat but it's body was bigger more like a mountain lion or a coyote. And it's fur was a dirty yellow but it had brown spots blended into the fur. Dude, it was weird. But whatever it was we did not see it again and for that I was extremely grateful. We set up our "two men" tent, Thanks OPA!! Started unpacking some other stuff and that's when Dad got attacked by a pack of killer mosquitoes. I rushed to the near gas station and purchased the only bug spray in the entire place (turning out to be the most expensive bug spray I have ever bought, it's just the man keepin' us down). Apparently it was worth every penny cause after spraying some of that we didn't see another mosquito. After setting up camp we made a fire and roasted marshmellows! The campsite was so beautiful. The mountains were in the background with a lake in full view. No other state park can ever compare. We watched the sun set over the lake and it was gorgeous reflecting off the water. We didn't see much wildlife after the coyote/mountain lion/bobcat/U.W.O. (Unidentified Walking Object). Saw a couple rabbits and a frog. We out partied all of our other campsite friends by shutting down around 10:00 p.m. WOAH!!! haha It was a little chilly last night but we had some comfy sleeping bags to help us through. We woke up this morning around 6ish. The campsite truly was AWESOME. We didn't only have flushing toliets about 40 yds. away from us but there was also 2 playgrounds, showers, and a place to do laundry. Talk about da bomb :) We packed up camp and set off to the showers. This is a pretty clean shower place for a campsite, it was probably cleaner than half the bathrooms we've stopped at throughout this whole trip so far. So to work the showers you have to insert coins so they can conserve water. Well you must insert a dollar for 4 minutes and then every minute after that you have to insert another quarter. So I put my 4 quarters in and I put in another quarter thinking 5 minutes should be fine. Turns out 5 minutes was way too long. As soon as I inserted coins it turned on and I noticed the water was a little frigid. I turn the knob to go to hot...nothing happens it's still FREEZING COLD!! I knew something had to be wrong with this place it was just too awesome. So I suck it up and take the fastest shower of my life and get out of there. When I get outside, let me remind you we're in Colorado and it's still a little chilly, my wet hair feels like it is going to turn to iclicles any second. Not to mention I am locked out of the car cause Dad is still in his shower. So I'm waiting outside for him to come trying to air dry my hair, doing hair flips and trying to wrap it in my towel. He finally comes out and he's like "oh man, that was nice!" WhAt?!?! He says, "that was almost a little too hot." He had nice, hot running water. Argghh!! Oh well it happens. More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I can't wait to see you guys. Rachel and I miss you soooooo much. I'm glad the tent worked out. I sounds like it was beautiful. Except for the cold shower thing Sarah. Bummer. love you tons and tons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so-oo envious---would love to have been there!!!

    ReplyDelete